Sunday, February 28, 2010

Making Butter

So all you need is heavy whipping cream and just mix it until you get butter and buttermilk. First it starts out looking like whip cream. And turns a little yellow.
It gets thicker and now is a good time to add salt if you want to.

Now it is really starting to separate. See the buttermilk collecting at the bottom.

Here is the butter, nice and yellow and creamy and delicious. The butter milk is delicious too. I make awesome whole wheat pancakes out of the buttermilk and then make honey butter out of the freshly made butter. I crave this every morning!

You then put the butter in cheese cloth to squeeze out the buttermilk. I would recommend squeezing it out with your hands only. You lose a lot of the butter when it sticks to the cheese cloth.

Squeezing out more buttermilk.

Here is the finished product. I made half of it right away into honey butter and the rest I froze to save for cookies. This butter makes the cookies have a smooth texture that is delightful.
Making butter is so easy. All I need now is to find someone with a milking cow who has a lot of cream on their hands. So fun trying new things and discovering ways you can be more self sufficient.
This process all together only 20 minutes. With my bosch is doesn't take long at all to mix it up.
It is fun watching the process unfold and then eating it right after.
Give it a try your kids will love it and you will too!

2 comments:

Michelle Hepworth said...

Nice job Cindy! That looks fun! I will have to try it sometime!

The Minert's said...

That looks amazing!!! I am doing that this week! I miss you guys so much...I wish we lived down the street like old times. The kiddos are getting so big! xoxo Summer